Namely, in accordance to the HRDF’s recommendation, the following municipalities will assist the single parents in 2018:
- Kutaisi will assist the single parents with 30 GEL voucher to cover electricity, gas and water communal bills;
- Tskaltubo will assist the single parents with single 300 GEL financial assistance;
- Bagdati municipality will assist the single parents with 200 GEL financial assistance;
- Kaspi municipality will assist single mothers with 200 GEL and the Fund recommends the municipality administration to eliminate the discrimination [of single fathers];
- Tkibuli will give priority to single parents when assigning shelter to indigent families;
- Kharagauli will assist single parents with 200 GEL financial aid.
In 2017, 25 out of 75 self-governing cities and municipalities assisted the single parents.
According to the territorial coverage of the project (ShidaKartli, Kakheti and Imereti), only 13 out of 25 municipalities assisted the single parents. Throughout 2017 the HRDF actively advocated the problems of single parents with 12 municipalities, who did not have any social benefits envisaged in their 2017 budgets for single parents.
In July 2017, the Fund organized meeting of representatives of social agencies from 25 municipalities. They exchanged their experience and discussed how the local self-governments can assist the single parents. Furthermore, the state does not offer any social guarantee to the single parents.
It is noteworthy that municipalities, which assisted the single parents last year too, continued this positive tendency this year too. Namely:
- Gori – single financial assistance from 200 up to 500 GEL;
- Tchiatura – food, single financial assistance in the amount of 150 GEL;
- Zestaponi – single financial assistance, 200 GEL
- Samtredia – single financial assistance, 100-150 GEL
- Sachkhere – single financial assistance, 150 GEL; co-funding studies in high schools with 500 GEL;
- Dedoplistskaro – funding communal bills every month with 13-17 GEL; assisting the single-parent’s family of new-born child with 300 GEL;
- Lagodekhi – funding communal bill with 10 GEL every month;
- Sagarejo – single financial assistance; communal bills (electricity 5 GEL and in winter – 50 GEL)
- Signagi – single financial assistance, 100 GEL
- Kvareli – monthly communal bills with 8 GEL;
- Gurjaani – monthly communal bills with 8 GEL
Tbilisi, Vani, Khashuri, Kareli, Akhmeta and Terjola municipalities still do not have envisaged financial benefits for single parents in 2018 budget. However, single parents live in those municipalities too. As for Tbilisi, the most single parents are registered in the capital.
The HRDF continues active advocacy and lobbying campaign in different directions with the aim to assist and empower single parents.
It is noteworthy that in 2017 the Fund recommended the municipalities to eliminate the discrimination, because eight of them (in Kakheti, ShidaKartli and Imereti regions) assisted only single mothers. Seven of them corrected the discriminatory provision.
The HRDF has been implementing the project “Advocacy of Single Parents’ Rights” for one year already with financial assistance of the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Georgia.